Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Hello!
Mike Rhytilahti has worked for Harmony Valley Farm fora number of years. He was telling me about a chocolate zucchini cake that his wife, Erika, had made. I was curious and made it the other day for lunch. It was melt in your mouth delicious!! Everyone loved it so much I thought I should put it on the blog.
Cake:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 tsp lemon juice)
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cup flour
4T cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups shredded zucchini
Topping:
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup walnuts
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan. Mix all ingredients. Stir in zucchini. Pour in pan and sprinkle topping mixture over top. Bake for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

Heather Campbell said...

I use almost an identical recipe from 101Cookbooks and make muffins! They are YUMMY.

Anonymous said...

for chocolate freaks (like me) substitute up to one cup of cocoa for an equal amount of flour.

Unknown said...

That cake is absolutely delicious and I have enough shredded zucchini in the freezer to make another one.